Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 in Binary

Considering I've been out on my own for about 6 1/2 years now, I decided that it was high time I started my own Christmas letter.  And seeing as this is a technology blog, what better way to showcase technology then by posting it here instead of mailing it out the old-fashioned way. 

To start things off, let me help anyone that isn't up to date catch up.  After high school, I moved up to North Dakota from Missouri to go to school at the University of North Dakota for biology and eventually med school.  I also enlisted in the North Dakota Air National Guard (NDANG) during that summer as a fuels technician.  I was placed in student flight for about a year, and then went to Basic and tech school between my freshman and sophomore years.  I also deployed to Al Udeid AB, Qatar (It's a tiny peninsula that sticks up off of Saudi Arabia into the Persian Gulf.) for 3 months in 2006.  More recently, my unit, which used to fly F-16s, changed missions, which in turn changed our manning documents.  My previous position as a fuels technician was eliminated and I was required to find a new job.  I managed to get a position as a communications technician (computer geek) with our new MQ-1 mission.  As such, I had to go to Keesler AFB for training for 4 months beginning in November 2007.  This opened up the opportunity for me to go on Title 10 orders (the same type of orders active duty service members receive) upon arriving back in North Dakota.  I transferred to NDSU and moved to Fargo in April 2008, and worked full-time at the NDANG for 2 years. 

Now that everyone is on the same page, it's time to get into this year.  It has been filled with many new beginnings.  Probably the most important events of the year for my career happened in January.  First, I was named Outstanding Non-commissioned Officer (NCO) of the Year for the 119th Operations Group and nominated for the wing-level award.  Second, I applied for and was hired as a federal technician at the NDANG.

Now, for those of you that don't speak Governmentese, allow me to explain.  In the National Guard, all individuals are on one of three statuses: weekender, technician, or AGR.  A "weekender" is someone that comes in for one weekend a month and two weeks a year for training.  An AGR is an active duty member of the military that is permanently stationed at our unit.  A technician is a federal civilian employee, similar to post office employees, whose job is to train the weekenders.  Prior to this hiring, I was a weekender who had been activated.  In other words, I was deployed to Fargo.  That's is a really bad way to have a job though, because a weekender can only be activated for a year at a time, and that activation depends completely on whether the Air Force wants to fund the position or not.  So, I was in constant limbo over whether I would have a job the following year.  As a federal technician, I am for the most part guaranteed a job until I'm 57, and I have a higher salary as well.  Needless to say, I was quite elated with this news.

The Outstanding Airman of the Year Award banquet was held in March.  I unfortunately was not selected as the wing Outstanding NCO of the Year, but I was not terribly disappointed by this.  The nomination was my second within my first enlistment term, (the first came in early 2007, when I was awarded Outstanding Airman of the Year for the 119th Fighter Wing) and to my knowledge, no one else in the 119th Wing has that distinction.  I was thrilled to have many friends there, especially my cousin Jason Gapp, who would be joining the ranks a few months later.

Through work, I've also been given the opportunity to gain lots of experience and training.  In June, I went through a week-long certification boot camp, with CompTIA Security+ as the goal.  I successfully stepped into the world of advanced computer security that Friday morning, and found a new passion in the process.  I have decided to pursue computer network penetration testing, also known as ethical hacking, and computer forensics as my ultimate career goal.  October brought sunshine and warm temperatures as I traveled down to Riverside in Southern California for two months for an aircraft maintenance course.  It was a nice break from my regular duties, and also helped me to get an idea of what the future of flight is going to be. (Here's a hint: it's going to involve a lot more computer guys than ever before.)

In my free time, I volunteer as an Assistant Scoutmaster with Boy Scouts of America Troop 203, and as a committee member for BSA Venture Crew 203.  It's always fun going out and camping, and in February, I learned some aspects of camping in the winter at Wilderness Romp.  The boys got to learn how to make a shelter out of snow, and had all kinds of fun sledding.  This year was an especially fun year in Scouting, as the BSA celebrated its 100th anniversary.  In June, I managed to get out of guard drill (as did our vice wing commander!) to go participate in a council-wide centennial celebration at the ND state capitol.  We got to try tomahawk throwing, sit in the Governor's chair, and find geocaches hidden all over the capitol grounds.  And if that wasn't enough, we wrapped up the weekend with a laser light show!  In July, we headed out to Camp Wilderness in near Park Rapids, MN for a week of summer camp.  And if you think I took naps all day, you'd be wrong.  I spent my days in training classes covering everything from teaching effective leadership to performing wilderness first aid (defined as first aid performed when emergency care is two or more hours away).

I've also spent some time outside of work and school training for honor guard duties as part of the Joint Funeral Honors Team of the 119th Wing Base Honor Guard.  This involves training for color guard duties (like you'd see at a sports game), and also funeral honors with the NDNG State Military Funeral Honors Team.  In March, I was able to participate in my first funeral, honoring one of our ANG members who had been Army Guard prior to "going blue."  In June, the day before the BSA centennial celebration, I found myself in Bismarck as part of the funeral honors detail for the viewing of Former ND Governor Art Link.  It was a great privilege to be part of that team, and that once-in-a-lifetime service.

My love life also had a new beginning in May.  A friend of mine introduced me to her sister, Rebecca (Becky).  We hit it off from the start, and have been dating ever since.  We've had lots of fun together, going to a Skillet concert in May, and in December, a NDSU vs. UND Basketball game and the midnight premiere of Tron: Legacy in IMAX.  I also introduced her to my family in July when they were in town for my cousin Peter's wedding.  I'm pleased to report that everyone gets along well, especially Tara and Becky with their mutual love of art and drawing.

Finally, in September, I made a huge new start.  With the help of my excellent realtor, Marc, and a suggestion to look at a house by Becky, I found a place to call my own.  It's nice and cozy with all the essentials close by, and a 5-minute commute to work.  It's also great knowing who to get frustrated at when the lawn doesn't get mowed or the driveway shoveled (Yep, me.).  It's not perfect, but I have big plans for the place, and home project advice is always welcome.  And if you live in the Fargo area and feel the need to destroy something, come on over.  I'm sure I can come up with something.

So there you have it.  2010 is in the can.  Hopefully your year was as fun and full of blessings as mine.  May God bless you in 2011.  Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Josh!!! Happy New Year!! -Mandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Busy, busy! Great to hear what you have been up to - hope to see you sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete